How the Blog Works

How the blog works




The most recent entries or "posts" appear at the top. To find older ones, scroll down. On the right at the bottom of the page are links to older posts, which you can click on to find material posted last year, last month, etc.

Contributions are welcome and can be e-mailed to me at lawrenceyoulten@gmail.com. Content can include 1) announcements about, or introductions to, forthcoming meetings and other events of possible interest to members. 2) Summaries of talks given at Literary Society meetings or at meetings of the Book Group. 3) Announcements of forthcoming TV or radio programmes of possible interest to readers. 4) Reviews of books read recently or in the past.

Ideally, contributions should be submitted as documents in Word format (.doc or .docx files) and pictures in the form of .jpg files but other formats, including .pdf files are acceptable.

Links can be included to give easy access to relevant material on the internet.

Sunday 17 January 2016

Introduction to our February talk, by our speaker, Barnaby Phillips



I'm a broadcaster and writer. I was born in the UK, raised in Kenya and Switzerland, and studied History at Oxford, with a Masters in African Politics and Geography from London.
I worked for the BBC from 1991-2006. During this time I was a producer at the BBC World Service, and freelance reporter ('stringer') in Mozambique (1993-4) and Angola (1997). Later I became a BBC Correspondent in Nigeria (1998-2001) and Southern Africa (2001-2006). During this time I travelled and reported from countries across Africa. I speak fluent French and Portuguese.
In 2006 I joined the new Al Jazeera English television station, where I'm now a Senior Correspondent. I was based in Athens from 2006-2011, and have been living back in London for the last four years.  With Al Jazeera I've reported from across the world; including Japan, India, Burma, Africa, the Middle East and the United States, although the main focus of my work has been in Europe, recently concentrating on the migration and Eurozone crises. 

My talk

My talk will be will be about a forgotten aspect of the Second World War; how Britain took 100,000 African soldiers to the jungles of Burma to fight against the Japanese. These were the so-called ‘Burma Boys’.  In particular, I will tell the story of Isaac Fadoyebo, who signed up as a 16 year old in rural Nigeria in 1942. He was shipped to India the following year. In March 1944, in Burma, Isaac was horribly injured in a jungle ambush deep behind Japanese lines. His British officers were killed and so were many African colleagues. Too sick to even crawl, Isaac was saved by a family of courageous Burmese rice farmers who hid and fed him for 9 months, before his eventual rescue by the British. Isaac returned to Nigeria in 1945, where he lived a life of respectable obscurity. Many decades later, in his final years, Isaac became my friend in Lagos;  at his urging I went to Burma, carrying a letter of thanks and photographs for the family who'd saved him and of whom he'd been thinking these past seven decades.
Through Isaac’s tale, I will look at the bigger picture. Were these African soldiers volunteers, or were they forced to fight for King and Empire? How were they treated by the British, and how did they fare afterwards? What impact did their experiences have on them and on Independence Struggles after the War? I hope to make your audience think about the Second World War in new and less Eurocentric ways; from the perspective of a Nigerian youth or a Burmese rice farmer it was more a struggle of dying Empires than a heroic stand against fascism.
My book 'Another Man's War: The Story of A Burma Boy in Britain's Forgotten African Army' tells this story. 

Some useful links

For those who are interested in background reading, here are some reviews/articles about the book.



'Another Man's War' was published in late 2014, and was chosen by NPR in the US as 'One of The Best Books of 2014' and by the Daily Telegraph in the UK as 'One of the Best History Books of 2014' . It's now out in paperback and on kindle- Amazon link with reader's reviews is here

And for those with a bit more time on their hands- I made an award winning documentary about Isaac Fadoyebo and the Burma Boys in 2011 for Al Jazeera English (a couple of years before I wrote the book).  It's free online, 45 minutes long, and all are welcome to watch 

http://www.aljazeera.com/programmes/aljazeeracorrespondent/2011/08/2011828135228487172.html

A couple of other links if people are keen- 

my own website is 

and if you want to hear an interview with me by Justin Webb on the BBC R4 Today Programme on this story it's here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.